New Jersey Dialects

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Wed Oct 20 18:28:08 UTC 2004

According to several of my students, if you say 'Mondee,' you have a speech impediment and need to go to therapy.  According to another, you sound like people who say [Insert a goofy pronunciation], which they finally localised as Wisconsin (of course, it has nothing to do with Wis). The point is, Mondee is a goofy, silly pronunciation to them.  When I said Mondee in a sentence, "It didn't sound SO bad."  My general impression is that the -ee pronunciation is older or rural.  Perhaps spelling has influenced pronunciation.
Fritz in Oregon.
>as "Mondee, Tuesdee" etc instead of "Monday, Tuesday".

What's the difference?

Bethany