back to the dialects of NJ

Wed Oct 20 22:40:35 UTC 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 3:06 PM, Dale Coye wrote:

> ... Around the Trenton area there is a unique (to my knowledge)
> glottal stop before syllabic /n/ in words like Trenton, mitten,
> written. ..

oh dear, this is the connecticut glottal thing all over again!

some sort of glottal(ized) variant of /t/ before syllabic /n/ is all
over the u.s.  now we're starting to collect impressions that in some
localities there's something unique about the particular variant used
in that locality.  (or possibly about the syllable with the /n/.  or
something.)  facts, i want facts!

arnold