Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)

Thu Oct 21 04:23:58 UTC 2004

bethany sez

I have a student who swears that she pronounces "thanks" as "thanxs" -
analogous to "axed" for "asked"
- so far, I have not persuaded her that she does not. (She does not.)
<<<

i can't make sense of '"thanxs" analogous to "axed"':

        asked   ae s k t
        axed    ae k s t        -- /ks/ vs. /sk/

        thanks  th a ng k s
        thanxs  th a ng k s s   -- long /s:/??
                th a ng x s     -- velar fricative ????

what do you mean, bethany?

(no i'm not emulating arnold. my tendinitis is hurting my arm and i don't
have the s-r software running for this one note so i'm economizing on
shift-key strokes)

mark by hand