"incorrect" possessive pronouns

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Thu Oct 21 12:55:50 UTC 2004

Okay, while I'm mulling over IPA still : ) here's a quick question:

I talked to a prof yesterday who said she had a student who used (her
words "possessives incorrectly with gerunds" in a paper.  I tried to get
her to give me an example, and the only thing she could come up with was
to say the student used "me" instead of "my" with a gerund acting as a noun.

I'm assuming something like "me writing" instead of "my writing."

My personal thought is that this could stem from generalizing
constructions like "look at me writing."   Alternatively, I suspect
dialect interference (North Dakota again here, though I neglected to ask
where the student was from-- but the majority of our students are
local). Does anyone know of a dialect with a  feature that might account
for the substitution of "me" for "my" in such instances, where "me
writing" would be correct?

Patti Kurtz (still working on that vowel sound)
--

Freeman - And what drives you on, fighting the monster?

Straker - I don't know, something inside me I guess.

Freeman - It's called dedication.

Straker - Pig-headedness would be nearer.