"Pearls Before Swine": spelling and verb forms

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Oct 21 15:36:32 UTC 2004

>the 10/19/04 "Pearls Before Swine" comic, drawn by Stephan Pastis:
>
>"At the Street Sign Bar".  the speaking characters are all street
>signs.  the pig merely observes.
>
>1:  Danger High Voltage, to pig: Look at that stupid guy next to you...
>Can't even spell 'through.'
>
>No Thru Traffic: Hey, leave me alone, man...  The full word didn't fit.
>
>sign not visible, from off right: Yeah... Leaves him alone, man...
>It's you that be the stupid one...
>
>2:  Danger High Voltage: Hey, listen, "Thru-Boy."  You better tell your
>moron friend to stay out of this...  Everyone knows he's the dumbest
>guy in the bar.
>
>3:  No Thru Traffic: He's all right, Hal...  Stay out of this.
>
>Slow [now visible in the scene]: But I is smart, George...  I is smart.
>
>-----
>
>so see it, check out:
>
>http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/pearls-20041019.html
>
>arnold

And the following two days continue with this:

In the 10/20 strip a [female] Icy sign says "whatEVER" and the
[female] Dead End sign says "I am like sooo uninterested".

In the 10/21 strip, the Danger High Voltage (now drunk) is "beer
goggling", defined as "where he starts to find women attractive just
because he's drunk". In the last panel DHV is saying to a caution
cattle crossing sign (female, because the diamond shaped sign!) "you
are sherioushly ... urp ... hot."

Barbara