New Jersey Dialects

Thu Oct 21 15:39:10 UTC 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 10:05 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> Just 'cause I'm curious--do the "Sundee", "Mondee", "Tuesdee" speakers
> pronounce _(ice-cream) sundae_ as "sundee" too?

i do, and so did the kids i grew up with.  i remember this because
there once were tv ads that had the /de/ pronunciation, which struck us
all as preposterous and worthy of mockery.  the day names had formal
variants with (secondarily accented) /de/, but "sundae" had only /di/
for us; /s^nde/ was *only* the day name.

arnold