Quick question on books

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Oct 22 13:47:49 UTC 2004

I'm teaching a course in American regional dialects this spring.  I plan
to use Allan Metcalf's "How We Talk," (thanks for suggesting that,
Allan!) but I wanted one more text to sort of add either:

a) some general sociolinguistic theory or
b) maybe deal in depth with one or two dialects in depth, like AAVE or
Chicano English
c) or deal in depth with one aspect of dialects, such as dialects in
teaching, or in pop culture..

Anyone know anything about "Spoken Soul" by Rickford?  or have other ideas?

But I need a text that's not overly pricey, fairly easy to comprehend
and book orders are due Monday.

Any suggestions?

Patti
--

Dr. Patti J. Kurtz

Assistant Professor, English

Director of the Writing Center

Minot State University

Minot, ND 58707

Foster: What about our evidence? They've got to take notice of that.

Straker: Evidence. What's it going to look like when Henderson claims
that we manufactured it, just to get a space clearance program?

Foster: But we are RIGHT!

Straker: Sometimes, Colonel, that's not quite enough.