GRAVITAS--a wonderful word

Fri Oct 22 14:57:05 UTC 2004

In a message dated 9/26/04 2:40:47 PM, robert-wachal at UIOWA.EDU writes:

> When it comes to disliking certain words, does anyone else dislike
> 'gravitas' and think it pompous? And how about 'absent' as a preposition?

Dear Bob,
I first realized that this had become a buzz word about a year ago, when one
of my (nontenured) colleagues told me that he hoped I did not retire soon
because I brought "gravitas" to our Departmental meetings. I have loved the word
ever since (or, as we say in Iowa, "every since"). Do you think that "gravitas"
is a synonym for 'I am counting on you in myh tenure vote'?
Cheers,
Ron