Irish Coffee (1952)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 22 17:39:37 UTC 2004

In a message dated Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:11:08 -0400,  Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>  Another citation for this drink.
>
>  (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
>  THE TRIBUNE TRAVELERS' GUIDE; Ireland Puts a Lot of Beauty in Little Space
>  James Doyle. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jun 8,
1952.
> p. F17 (1 page):
>  The Irish also do not serve elaborate dishes garnished with cunning
sauces.
> But Irish food is in the top European class--succulent grills, tender
steaks,
> fresh-water salmon straight from the river, and Irish coffee, black, with a
> jigger of Irish whiskey, sugar and thick cream on top.

I have a vague recollection that in the late 1950's a vendor of Irish whiskey
in the US ran a series of ads (I must have seen them in New Yorker magazine)
promoting Irish coffee.  You would know better than I whether this advertiser
coined the name of the drink or whether he took advantage of an already named
concoction.

(A friend of mine once ordered an "Irish coffee" in a bar and was served
something made with Scotch and instant coffee.  "It was," he said, "a sobering
experience.")

Similarly I was once told that the "Harvey Wallbanger" was invented by the
man who had the franchise to sell Galiano (sp?) in the US and introduced the
Wallbanger as a way to promote his product.  Considering that Galiano tastes like
kerosene, I am inclined to believe this story.

OT: has anyone even heard of the following potable:  make a punch-bowl full
of sidecar and add some dry ice so that the mixture smokes like fuming nitric
acid (a well-known rocket fuel)?  If so, what is it called?

       - James A. Landau