PASSED (AWAY) (was 'disappearing prepositions')

Sun Oct 24 18:18:58 UTC 2004

I never heard PASSED for PASSED AWAY until 1967, when I moved from Iowa to
North Carolina, where I began to hear it in the speech of African Americans of
all social classes. I also have a sense that it was found then in folk speech
among whites as well. I don't know what the DARE files might tell us about
this, but my guess is that it is (or at least was) a Southernism.