PASSED (AWAY) (was 'disappearing prepositions')

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Oct 24 23:41:36 UTC 2004

On Oct 24, 2004, at 2:42 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: PASSED (AWAY) (was 'disappearing prepositions')
> --------
>
> Though I've already observed that Phil Donahue used to say "passed"
> all the time on his old TV series, it's also true that mostly African
> Americans seem to use it - on TV, at least.
>
> JL

In real life, too. For example, my own father passed this year at the
age of 97. So, I've had occasion to hear current usage. Sometimes, folk
say "passed on," instead. But "passed away" is so rare as to have a
literary air about it.

-Wilson Gray