Hallucinating distinctions (Pittsburgh)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Oct 27 15:35:34 UTC 2004

I think what you and Doug are hearing (and what I was trying to elicit in
my first note) is a fronting of the diphthong, common in western PA and
eastern Ohio.  Without IPA, it's hard to do, but maybe something like
[kaeowtS] = "caeowch"?  My impression is that "dahntahn" with its
monophthongization is by now idiomatic in Pittsburgh, but that
monophthongizing in general is not common there.  "Par" (actually the vowel
is further back but not up to O=backward C) is common here in southern Ohio
(and all the way up to Youngstown), but I don't think it is in
Pittsburgh.  (No one down here says "caatch" though; there are limits on
monophthongizing.)  Anyone?

Beverly Flanigan
Ohio University