vi vs. english grammar (was: Fwd: sub.mot)

Fri Oct 29 17:39:04 UTC 2004

Arnold wrote:

> the story so far:  i posted the following...
>
>> a request (which i will explain soon): please tell me -- by e-mail
>> if at all possible -- how you would read this piece of code
>> ("s/while/after/") out *as a sentence of english*.

My reaction to that was "substitute, for 'while', 'after'".

As you can see, I am an unregenerate and hardshell user of original
"substitute". If I had to _write_ such a sentence, I might or might not use
the commas, but in reading aloud I would pause to set off the fronted PP.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
   [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]