Sad news about David Shulman

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sun Oct 31 14:59:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 07:35:54PM -0500, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:

>   A few moments ago I learned that David Shulman passed away
> on Wednesday. That morning he hadn't been feeling well and
> asked to be taken to the hosptial, and shortly after his
> arrival there he died.

[...]

That is very sad news indeed; the last time I saw him he seemed
to be in excellent health.

>     I'd guess that with respect to his work on language,
> David would most like to be remembered for his antedatings
> sent to the OED. He is one of the unsung heroes of
> lexicography.

David was indeed an extremely prolific contributor to OED, and
of important citations.  While he wasn't perhaps the
best-known one, I will point out that his name appeared in the
front-matter to OED2, each of the Additions Series volumes,
and is currently on the OED's staff page on the Web.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED