N-bomb

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 1 20:59:50 UTC 2004

Wilson Gray said:
>On Sep 1, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>>  On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 08:14:05AM -0400, Kristina Eisenhower wrote:
>>>  I am a doctoral student in Second Language Acquisition and a new
>>>  subscriber to this list.  If I can be so bold to ask: what the fuck
>>>  is the "n-bomb"?
>>
>>  The word _nigger_.
>>
>>  Jesse Sheidlower
>>  OED
>>

>No shit?! To quote Johnny Carson, "I did not know that." Yesterday, I
>did a quick Google of "n-bomb" and got the impression therefrom that it
>stood for "n[uclear]-bomb." So, how is this other "n-bomb" used and who
>uses it?

Professional athletes, in TV (post-game) interviews might say
(explaining a fight) "he dropped an n-bomb on me". Try your googling
on "N bomb -neutron -nuclear". Take a look at
<http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/205953p-177782c.html>,
including the headline, for instance. An example, from usenet:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8ne0uc%243q2m%241%40newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com&output=gplain>.
And another
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3DFEF344.BF76002%40cox.net&output=gplain>.
And a beautiful quote from
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=o50mta.0nv.ln%40goodways.com1net.com&output=gplain>:
"i am sure all yall have dropped the N bomb on a some black people
who have pissed you off.."
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963