APB: Non English Language Slang

Fri Sep 3 14:54:35 UTC 2004

Jonathon Green asks: Can anyone help? I am looking for an overview, an article on or indeed the history - either in English or French (my language 'abilities' stop there) of non-anglophone slang, or any aspect thereof.

Douglas G. Wilson replied: I suppose one can employ the catalogue of one's local library (giving some examples).

The chances are that an online library catalog will somehow offer the feature of limiting the responses to a query to material written in a ceertain language.  Bobst's catalog had 24 titles under keywords German slang but none when limited to English.  Keywords Italian slang turned up 21 titles, but only one when limited to English:
Florentine locutions: a study of blasphemous and obscene expressions occurring in the present-day Florentine vernacular, by Kevin Beary.
New York (P.O. Box 20831, Columbus Circle Station, New York 10023-1488): Intemperate Stage, c1991.  96 p., 16 cm.
A search of the MLA Bibl. for the descriptors Italian slang turned up 35 items; the limit possibilities are only English/non-English, so there is evidently no way to get just studies in French.  Of the 6 in English, the most interesting seemed to be:
Campbell, Neil.  Altri libertini-A Glossary
Source: Bulletin of the Society for Italian Studies: A Journal for Teachers of Italian in Higher Education 20, (1987): p. 52-57
Descriptor: Italian literature - 1900-1999 - Tondelli, Pier Vittorio (1955-1991) - Altri libertini (1980) - novel - slang

GAT