Different dialects, same error

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Sep 4 21:06:57 UTC 2004

On Sep 4, 2004, at 4:43 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Different dialects, same error
> --------
>
>> Existenetial 'it' is actually pretty widespread in white southern
>> speech, although more often noted by linguists for AAVE. Yes, I come
>> by it native(ly), as I clearly do not come by -ly.
>
> There are, however, restrictions in the dialects which I have never
> quite got the handle on. Some AAVE existential it's are out of bounds
> for me, but I haven't analyzed them.
>
> For example, "It ain't nobody named Windy" sounds really good to me
> but "It's a man in the other room" (on the existential reading, of
> course) don't.

dInIs, here's a verse from a '60's blues song for your reading
enjoyment.

Raise your window, baby.
I ain't going out that door.
_It's a man downstairs_.
He could be your man.
I don't know.

FWIW, the late, great Ken Hale used existential it. So, I don't think
that it's necessarily a BE or a Southern phenomenon.

-Wilson Gray