Eggnogg (1815)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 5 03:31:34 UTC 2004

I thought Early American Newspapers would have even earlier. There's nothing in the Adams' papers at the Massachusetts Historical Society. I'm trying eggnog, eggnogg, egg nog, and egg nogg.

(OED)
[f. EGG + NOG strong ale.]

    A drink in which the white and yolk of eggs are stirred up with hot beer, cider, wine, or spirits.

  1825 Bro. Jonathan I. 256 The egg-nog..had gone about rather freely. 1844 MRS. HOUSTON Yacht Voy. Texas II. 179 Followed by the production of a tumbler of egg-noggy. 1853 KANE Grinnell Exp. xlvi. (1856) 428 And made an egg-nogg of eider eggs. 1872 COHEN Dis. Throat 91, I would rely chiefly on egg-nog, beef essence, and quinine.

(EARLY AMERICAN NEWSPAPERS)
Headline: Foreign. Ghent, Dec. 25;
Paper: Massachusetts Spy, or Worcester Gazette;  Date: 1815-03-08;  Vol: XLIV;  Iss: 2187;  Page: [2];
Mr. Todd, one of the secretaries, and son-in-law of Mr. Madison, had invited some gentlemen of his country and some others, to partake with him of a _liquor_ with which the Americans used to treat their friends on _Christmas day_, and which is called _eggnogg_. At noon, while they were waiting for the _eggnogg_, engaged in pleasant conversation,...

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
Sir,--I hope that the proposition which I am about to make...
A Country Correspondent. Evangelical and Literary Magazine (1822-1823). Richmond: Dec 1823. Vol. 6, Iss. 12; p. 636 (4 pages)
Pg. 638: In many a family that I know, an enormous bowl of _egg-nogg_ is brewed and drunk, because it is Christmas! Parents, chldren, servants, old, young, white, black, and yellow, must drink egg-nogg (if they can get it) because it is _Christmas times_!

AN ECCENTRIC CHARACTER.; [From an American Periodical of 1790.]
New York Literary Gazette and American Athenaeum (1826-1826). New York: Mar 18, 1826. Vol. 2, Iss. 2; p. 23 (1 page):
Egg-nog is his favourite liquor in the morning--grog at eleven o'clock--and such wine as he can afford after dinner, which generally consists of salt pork and pease, with sea biscuit instead of bread.

(WHICH American publication of 1790?--ed.)