Ofay (1920-1924)

Mon Sep 6 21:40:12 UTC 2004

On a related note:  I was recently reading S.M. Stirlings "Islands in the
Sea of Time" series of alternate history novels.  In them, a major character
is a black woman Coast Guard officer from the Gullah region of South
Carolina.  She refers to whites, occasionally, as "buckra".  That's a new
one on me -- is it derogatory (it didn't seem so, from the context)?

Is it related to (insert Strom Thurmond accent) "nigra"?