Ofay etymology (speculative)--"au fait" = socially acceptable, genteel

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Sep 7 00:15:42 UTC 2004

Douglas Wilson's additional information on ofay is of course helpful, and I would like to have it appear in an upcoming issue of Comments on Etymology (with due credit, of course). As for the existence of "au fait" (socially acceptable; genteel),
being recognizable prior to the enormously helpful databases, cf.

1) Edward Kennedy ("Duke") Ellington's 1973 _Music Is My Mistress_, p. 12:
"When I first went to Europe on the Olympic in 1933, I felt so au fait with all that silverware on the table." (Olympia, au fait each appears in italics.)

2) _Judge_ (humor magazine published in NYC), March 14, 1896, p. 169; in a cartoon with all black characters "Miss Snoflake" has asked whether Professor Johnson or Deacon Ketchum has the proper handshake. Mr. Jackson replies:
        "Wha, dey's bofe quite au fait..."

3) Robert Gold's 1975  _Jazz Talk_ (under "fay"/"ofay") presents three possible etymologies for the term.  The second is:
                "Jazz critic Martin Williams suggests that the term may derive from Louisiana Creole parents' admonition to children, 'au fait'--show good manners a la genteel whites." -- (accent aigu over the a of a la).

         As for Douglas Wilson being unaware of the "ofay" treatment in Comments on
        Etymology or _Studies in Slang_, the fault is mine rather than his.  I need to
        publish a bibliography of the Comments on Etymology items and the
        Studies in Slang items and put it online so interested scholars can have
        ready access to it..

        Gerald Cohen

        ...Back in 1994 it must have been a challenge to establish the currency of this "au fait" (the on-line newspaper databases weren't developed yet in 1994, were they?); my quick search of MoA and other databases shows mostly