Black-and-White, Half-Moon, Harlequin

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 7 01:22:05 UTC 2004

At 6:02 PM -0400 9/5/04, Wilson Gray wrote:
>On Sep 5, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Sam Clements wrote:

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>
>>Subject:      Re: Black-and-White, Half-Moon, Harlequin
>>--------
>>
>>Most cites I can find from the 1940-49 period say the NY police cars
>>were
>>simply green and white.
>>
>>SC
>
>Larry probably had Left-Coast police cars in mind. And, of course, in
>the old B&W gangster movies, even NYC police cars appear to be black
>and white.
>
>-Wilson Gray

Well, maybe, but I did take the trouble to check my recollection and
found inter alia
========
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_white
In New York City, a Black-and-White used to be a police car, when
they were painted with a distinctive black and white livery.
Currently a Black-and-White is a large round sugar cookie (even 5
inches across) with a divided sugar and chocolate glaze.
========

But other web sites (e.g. http://tnmcc.com/police.html, which offers
a more detailed history of NYC police car color combos) bear out the
observations of Jonathan and Sam, so I'll withdraw the claim, in
anticipation of Wikipedia's following suit.