"Turd Ferguson" slang book; Indiana "Pitch-In Supper" (1923)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 7 13:48:48 UTC 2004

I've never encountered ANY of these terms from students at my university.  Now how could that be?

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: "Turd Ferguson" slang book; Indiana "Pitch-In Supper" (1923)

Two from Google News, which sometimes doesn't have Barry Popik stories.
=20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
TURD FERGUSON
=20
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=3DWSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ=
_Rel
ishArticle&c=3DMGArticle&cid=3D1031777684387&path=3D!entertainment!general&
s=3D1037645508970
Slang Thang: Two WFU grads wrote the book on college slang

Wednesday, September 1, 2004
Winston-Salem Journal =20
(...)
Now, Applebaum and Pittman have written a book, Turd Ferguson & The Sausage=20
Party: An Uncensored Guide to College Slang (iUniverse, Inc., $11.95). The b=
ook=20
is a collection of some of the most interesting slang phrases used on colleg=
e=20
campuses.
(...)
=E2=80=A2 Bar Scar: All the wristbands and ink left over after making the ro=
unds at=20
the bars.
=E2=80=A2 Cash Cow: An ATM.
=E2=80=A2 Greek Freak: A new pledge who is super-absorbed in sorority/frater=
nity=20
goings-on.
=E2=80=A2 Hallcest: The dangerous act of getting with someone on your hall.
=E2=80=A2 Hitting the Snooze Bar: To continue to hook up with someone even t=
hough you=20
should really break up. Prolonging the inevitable.
=E2=80=A2 Kelvin Club: The rare feat of having a GPA that equals absolute ze=
ro.
Liquid Encouragement: Refers to how alcohol can help you be able to talk or=20
attempt to talk to anyone.
=E2=80=A2 Osmosis: A method of study employed by crammers who fall asleep wi=
th their=20
heads on their books. Not very reliable.
=E2=80=A2 Party Foul: An incident that goes against the rules of the party.=20=
For=20
example, spilling your glass of red wine on the Dean=E2=80=99s white carpet=20=
during an=20
elegant mixer or mistaking the coat closet for a bathroom.
=E2=80=A2 Pizza Bones: The uneaten crust of a pizza. Often scavenged by chea=
p friends=20
like Barry down the hall.
=E2=80=A2 Sausage Party: A gathering of many more men than women.
=E2=80=A2 Sexiled: When someone is forced to sleep outside his/her room when=
his/her=20
roomate wants to have sex in the room.
=E2=80=A2 Tomb of the Dead Soldiers: A trashcan filled with many, many beer=20=
cans.
=E2=80=A2 Turd Ferguson: A social sore who decides things like exposing ones=
elf in=20
public or driving drunk are good ideas.
=E2=80=A2 Vitamin N: Short for vitamin nicotine. Refers to having a cigarett=
e first=20
thing in the morning.
=E2=80=A2 Vurp: When you burp but some vomit comes up, too. A very nasty exp=
erience. =20

=20
(Pizza Bones? Me?...The HDAS has "dead soldiers" as the latest slang=20
from...1899!--ed.)
=20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
INDIANA "PITCH-IN"
=20
http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/172637-9237-047.html=20
Indiana 'pitches in' with its own brand of slang terminology =20
August 24, 2004
=20
Hoosiers speak their own language. Here's a quick glossary of terms, courtes=
y=20
of the Indiana University Department of Linguistics.

Pitch-in: A gathering where everyone contributes a dish to eat, known by the=
=20
rest of the English-speaking world as a potluck.

Mango: Ha! You thought it was a tropical fruit. For some weird reason, a lot=
=20
of folks around Bloomington and Terre Haute use this word to describe a gree=
n=20
pepper.

Toboggan: Nope, not a sled. To Hoosiers in the southern part of the state,=20
this is a knit cap worn in winter.

Nibnose: A nosey person. Can also be an adjective, e.g. "She's awfully=20
nibbey."

Giggin' (as opposed to gigging): Hunting frogs in order to eat frog legs.

Sweep the carpet: Vacuum the carpet.

Cheese toasty: Fort Wayne-speak for a grilled-cheese sandwich.

Hoosier: There are hundreds of stories about where the word comes from, but=20
it's most widely believed to have originated in the Appalachian Mountains as=
a=20
pejorative term for an unrefined, country roughneck. Turns out a lot of nati=
ve=20
Indiana people's ancestors migrated here from Virginia and West Virginia. In=
=20
St. Louis, hoosier is still pretty much an insult, but here it's come to mea=
n=20
anyone from Indiana.

-- Courtenay Edelhart
=20
(Wrong about "Hoosier." See my excellent "Hoosier" piece in the old ADS-L=20
archives...DARE has "pitch-in dinner" from 1965-70--ed.)
=20
=20
(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Indianapolis Star Monday, May 07, 1923 Indianapolis, Indiana =20
...home, that the day closed with a "PITCH-IN" SUPPER, she said, VOh,=20
they.....wore straw hats IN snow time and furs IN summer. "I lived IN the da=
ys when..
Pg. 6, col. 7:
When we mentioned to a friend, on coming home, that the day closed with a=20
"pitch in" supper, she said, "Oh, they have them in Greensburg, too?" So thi=
s=20
institution is evidently not peculiar to Tipton. Its neighborliness and good=
=20
fellowship would make one wish that it was not limited to one locality, but=20
belonged to the entire state.
=20
Indianapolis Star Sunday, June 08, 1924 Indianapolis, Indiana =20
...day. The Kentland chapter will have a PITCH-IN SUPPER on June 13 with Mrs=
.=20
E.....for Mrs. Jessie Logan. The ;annual PITCH-IN dINner will be held -IN=20
the.. =20
Pg. 30, col. 3:
The annual pitch-in dinner will be held in the city park this month.
(Rushville--ed.)
Pg. 30, col. 4:=20
The Kentland chapter will have a pitch-in supper on June 13 with Mrs. E. S.=20
Hess, Mrs. Faye Burgess and Mrs. Virginia Spradling as members of the commit=
tee=20
in charge.
=20
Newark Advocate Saturday, August 08, 1936 Newark, Ohio =20
...I Fred WatkINs. William R. Dean, a PITCH-IN SUPPER and stay for=20
the.....monthly busINess meetINg and potluck SUPPER Monday at 6 p. m. Sunday=
school.. =20
=20
Chronicle Telegram Thursday, October 14, 1937 Elyria, Ohio =20
...LAQRAXGE Gleaners' Class will hold a "PITCH-IN" SUPPER and Hallowe'en=20
party at.....Night. X. The 115th anniversary SUPPER will be held at the.. =20=
=20
=20
Lima News Friday, November 06, 1942 Lima, Ohio =20
...for the group's first social event, a "PITCH-IN-SUPPER." Miss Znlia=20
Harbaugh.....n-.is-INn-. nil 3-DIAMOND BEAUTY Rich IN beauty rich IN rich IN=
=20
quality. 2.. =20
=20
Walla Walla Union Bulletin Thursday, July 18, 1946 Walla Walla,=20
Washington=20
...slowly. thick add broken nut meats and PITCH-IN SUPPER Your Answer to=20
Guest.....IN for SUPPER. Why not ask them to PITCH IN and contribute their=20
favorite.. =20
=20
Daily Independent Wednesday, August 31, 1955 Kannapolis, North Carolina =20
...harvest time. Call ft what you will. PITCH-IN SUPPER. Barn dance. Or=20
corn.....Patterson, and that evenINg were SUPPER guests of Mr: 'and Mrs. j R=
ev.. =20
=20
Great Bend Daily Tribune Friday, September 02, 1955 Great Bend, Kansas=20
...etijoy harvest time. it what you will. PITCH-IN SUPPER. Barn dance. Or=20
com.....29. The next family card pSty and SUPPER will be given by Mrs. Henry=
=20
Cook.. =20
=20
Herald Thursday, January 22, 1959 Chicago, Illinois =20
...Game Dear Peg' Our foursome had its PITCH-IN SUPPER recently and the=20
food.....The tricky answer to this one was IN the first Whoever IN the audie=
nce..=20
=20
Sheboygan Press Friday, August 06, 1965 Sheboygan, Wisconsin =20
...call a potluck meal, they call a "PITCH IN." Jane also noted that IN
stead.....O, II County Delegates Learn About INdiana 4-H Clubs Johnson Count=
y,=20
from.. =20
Pg. 18?, col. 8:
Jane Mayhew, Meadowlarks 4-H Club, said that Indiana people use many=20
different speaking terms. What Sheboygan County people call a potluck meal,=20=
they call=20
a "pitch in." Jane also noted that instead of them seving milk for meals the=
y=20
served iced tea.
=20
Newark Advocate Monday, April 07, 1969 Newark, Ohio =20
...Kappa Gamma S o c i e t y. p .m.. 'PITCH-IN-SUPPER" and meetINg,=20
with.....for visitINg KINgswood Gardens IN Mansfield. LosINg lassies TOPS Me=
t at.. =20
=20
-------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
--------------------------------------
COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC
=20
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT TODAY?--My sister's home in Scarsdale. My autistic=
=20
nephew would come to the kitchen, grab five cookies, and disappear--about=20
every fifteen minutes of my visit. "He's a cookie monster!" my sister said.=20=
"A BIG=20
cookie monster."
=20
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT YESTERDAY?--Togo's Sandwiches for lunch, Olive=20
Garden for dinner--two chains I've never tried. Someone at work said that it=
's "To=20
Go," but I was told it's Togo like Pogo. There is a Togo's on E. 68th and=20
First Avenue, together with Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin Robbins. My cheese san=
dwich=20
lunch was just OK. Olive Garden in Times Square was standard.
=20
Coming home from Olive Garden, I walked past Big Apple Corner, then to the=20
Ziegfeld Theater, and then saw three Big Apple Fest apples in the alley ther=
e,=20
right by City Center. A car came by and some people were shouting "WOOOO!" A=
=20
woman took off her top...That doesn't happen often enough in NYC, IMHO.