Systematicity

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Sep 8 12:13:27 UTC 2004

Well, I don't agree that dialects (or languages) are idiolects
slopped together; there is a level of abstraction that won't tolerate
that purely empirical approach. If it was really that simple, we'd
have a quantitative matrix of some sort to tell us exactly how many
features would have to be shared before we could responsibly call a
dialect a dialect, and so on up the scale. We don't.

Your example is a very good one. You "infix" "like" in "forever."  (I
can't, by the way, but I'm a really old codger.)

It's systematic in many ways for infixing in English - I bet you
can't get "unlikehappy" and "carfuckinpet" (i.e., "carpet" with
"fuckin" infixed). These impossibilities all point to describable
(systematic) rules, some morphosemantic, some purely phonological.

What remains then is to see whether it's "systematic" in your grammar
(and the grammars of those most like you). That's the killer, of
course, Is this an item you have non-productively or do you have lots
of other "like" infixed items (which obey these same rules)? The
frequency with which you use such items would be a secondary
consideration, but your acceptance of forms innovated along these
same lines would surely be one indication of your having this item as
a systematic not idiosyncratic or even imitative part of your grammar.

In a 2002 MSU Linguistics dissertation entitled "This Girl Wants Out"
Erica Benson (now at UWisc Eau Claire) plays with the degree to which
needs/wants plus particle and prepositional phrases (Pull over; I
want around. Get out of my way; I need in the room.) are grammatical
for Northern, Midland, and Southern speakers. (These items have a
much wider distribution than similar constructions with the past
participle.) But the point is that the systematicity (as revealed by
grammaticality judgments) is very subtle, dipping down to the lexical
level (both need/want opposition as well as rankings among the
various particles/prepositions involved). The complexity of a rule's
"degree of systematicity," if I may, for even one speaker is,
therefore, very complex, denying the "settings" approach to a
grammar, although that approach is very much improved, in my opinion,
by the minimalist assertion that such settings are morpheme- rather
than construction-dependent (or "associated").

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu