finna

Orin Hargraves orinkh at CARR.ORG
Wed Sep 8 17:39:52 UTC 2004

Can anyone fill me in on finna? I keep coming across it in blogs; seems to be
a straightforward substitute for “gonna.” Random examples:

This isn't finished at all. it's finna be epic.

Jacob wants to go to the beach, but I'm finna stay in the city and just relax.

imma let her have all the easy shots because im finna take tha ball and make
tha game a lil harder.

What’s the pronunciation? And why does f substitute for g?
Is it mainly AAVE? — that’s the impression I get from context.

NB: watch out for the false positive Icelandic hits if you Google it.

Orin Hargraves