"You can always tell a Harvard man" (1907)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 9 07:11:38 UTC 2004

YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL + BUT YOU CAN'T TELL HIM MUCH--1090 Google hits, 10,200
Google Groups hits
YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL + BUT YOU CAN'T TELL HER MUCH--22 Google hits, 41 Google
Groups hits

The forthcoming Yale Dictionary of Quotations doesn't pay me the big bucks
for nothing.

What does Fred Shapiro have?...I haven't checked Harper's Weekly, which is
simple enough to do now.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
BOOKMAN'S NOTEBOOK; Sons of Harvard
JOSEPH HENRY JACKSON. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles,
Calif.: Jun 26, 1951. p. A5 (1 page):
There is an old wheeze you've undoubtedly heard, to the effect that you can
always tell a Harvard man, but you can't tell him much.

Hail to Thee, O Alma Mater
By CLEVELAND AMORY. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov
11, 1962. p. 320 (1 page)

To-Do in The Poison Ivy League
Reviewed by Lorry Kramer. The Washington Post (1974-Current file).
Washington, D.C.: Nov 2, 1978. p. B5 (1 page)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
 Weekly Press   Thursday, May 09, 1907 Saint Joseph, Michigan
...open Air And thAt it did She YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A HArvArd mAn. He (from
New.....HAven) Yes; but YOU CAN't TELL him much. HArper's Weekly. j..
Pg. 1, col. 6:
She--You can always tell a Harvard man.
He (from New Haven)--Yes; but you can't tell him much.
--Harper's Weekly.

Mountain Democrat   Saturday, August 10, 1907 Placerville, California
...Ins liiiAgs she's TowA j She YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A HArvArd Mi'r i New
Yes.....Answer wAs, "Oh, let's stAck them; we CAN sAsii dishes Any time we CAN't
visit..

 Bridgeport Telegram    Tuesday, March 13, 1928 Bridgeport, Connecticut
...look upon the sons of HArvArd. YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A HArvArd mAn, but YOU
CAN't.....the telegrAm And wired bAck, 'If he CAN pitch AA YOU sAy he CAN, I
don't..

 Lima News  Saturday, April 13, 1957 Lima, Ohio
...be voted down. 'YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A HArvArd MAn' A group of HArvA
rd.....old sAying goes, "YOUi CAN ALWAYS A HArvArd mAn but YOU CAN't TELL him much..

 Post Standard  Sunday, November 11, 1962 Syracuse, New York
...ApArt In Witty Book YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A HARVARD MAN. By RichArd
Bisjell.....Set hAs sepArAte trAf- fic signs YOU CAN move wherever YOU wAnt to
direct..