"Connecticut accent" in the Times

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Fri Sep 10 05:15:45 UTC 2004

Date:    Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:14:01 -0400
From:    Charles Jones <cejone01 at MOREHEADSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Re: "Connecticut accent" in the Times

Laurence Horn wrote:

Bostonians and New Yorkers also pronounce their ''o's'' and ''a's''
differently from each other and from Connecticut.

   Ms. MacKenzie said ''forest'' and ''orange'' are pronounced FORE-ist
and OR-inge in Connecticut, but as FAR-ist and ARE-inge in New York.

I knew a gentleman from Louisiana that pronounced his o's and a's very
much like
that of these described in NY.  It seems unlikely to me that these
pronunciations would be similar at all.

 From where in Louisiana?

I'm not a professional; I don't even play one on television.   But I do
know that the dialects of the Boston, New York City, Baltimore, and New
Orleans areas have a fair number of similarities (possibly transmitted
by boids or ersters, but I would guess that trade with England and Irish
immigration have more to do with it.)

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/ or