Re:       Re: egregious prescriptivism

Fri Sep 10 20:50:34 UTC 2004

This is a wonderful reminder of the importance of context in reading (and
writing). I'm sure this will come in handy when I next teach a course in
discourse analysis. I certainly apologize to Mr. Gray for accusing him of being a
prescriptivist -- though, judging from his last sentence, maybe I should merely
apologize for not having read every posting that he has made to this list in the
last month!

Mr. Gray has certainly been a lively contributor to ADS-L since he has
joined. I am glad to see that the list-serve is still attracting interest after all
these years, and I am also glad to see someone give Barry a contest in the
"who can contribute most" department.

Not being a native speaker of AAVE, I can't say from personal intuition that
"I'm done" is less likely in AAVE than "I'm through." Since they are virtually
identical in my speech (together with I'm finished"), I've never noticed
anybody's use of one or the other, and that includes all the hours of recorded
AAVE sociolinguistic interviews that I have listened to over the years. Though
"through" strikes me as a bit more formal than the other two, I suspect that in
a formal situation I would say "I have finished"; otherwise, I would not make
any distinction at all.