OT: Oxford Encyclopedia on Food and Drink in America

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 11 13:57:42 UTC 2004

FYI, here's the post that Andy Smith has just made on the food book.

It is not a Food Dictionary (not even an American one), and it was prepared
largely before NewspaperArchive became available to give us regional American
newspaper coverage.

I wasn't even shown the "hot dog" entry. Unbelievable. It was probably
written by Bruce Kraig of Chicago.

I dunno. In case you don't know, I don't run Oxford.

From: ASmith1946 (asmith1946 at aol.com)
Subject: Oxford Encyclopedia on Food and Drink in America
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: rec.food.historic
Date: 2004-09-10 13:25:44 PST

I'm delighted to report that the Oxford Encyclopedia on Food and Drink
inAmerica will be published in a few weeks. It was a Cecil B.
Demille'sproduction--years in the making with a cast of thousands -- well, 206contributors anyway--
and several are from this Listserv. The more than 800entries place American
food in historical and cultural perspective.

To celebrate its release, several events have been scheduled around the US.
TheNew York event will be held on October 19th at the Institute for
CulinaryEducation. Other events are scheduled for the National Museum of AmericanHistory
in Washington, DC (October 16), The Los Angeles Public Library (October9),
Kendall College, Chicago (October 22-23) and Boston (in planning). Ifanyone would
like an invitation to any of these events, please drop me anemail.

For more information about the encyclopedia, visit OUP's website:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:pWU3y7E2C9kJ:www.oup.com/us/catalog/g
eneral/subject/HistoryAmerican/%3Fci%3D0195154371%26view%3Dusa+%22Oxford+Encyclope
dia+of+food+and+drink+in+America%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8\

Andrew F. Smith
Editor in chief
Oxford Encyclopedia on Food and Drink in America