More crap from "Says You"--P.O.S.H.

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Sep 12 17:41:19 UTC 2004

So, I'm on my way back from the grocery store this A.M.

I'm listening to my local NPR station, and the program "Says You."  http://www.wgbh.org/radio/saysyou/

I'm sure I've complained about these guys before, but being trapped in a car, and hearing them ask the panel the meaning and origin of the term "posh"--and have the panel say it was "port out, starboard home"--and having the host say "that's correct"--and not being able to poke them with a sharp stick at that moment---well, it's just frustrating.

I love the quick-witty guest, and their abilities to make up things, but when they pass on bad derivations, it makes me embarassed.  I've emailed them about this, and linked to various websites--Quinion, Wilton, Maven's, Morris, etc.

To their credit, they got "chip on the shoulder"/Donnybrook/Juggernaut/Assassin correct.  They missed "Hocus Pocus", but that one is tricky.

But missing P.O.S.H.--there's just no reason in this day and age.

Hopefully, they will run some of these things by professionals before they do this many more times.

But I'm not hopeful.

Sam Clements