Fwd: SECOL news: In memoriam Marvin Ching

Terry Lynn Irons t-irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU
Thu Sep 16 10:53:57 UTC 2004

Dear members and friends of SECOL,

With a sad heart, I need to make you aware that one of SECOL's most
valued members has passed away.  Prof. Marvin K. L. Ching, emeritus
member of SECOL and former editor of the SECOL Review, has been very
active in our organization since early on.  Not only did he present at
our meetings and published in SECOL's journal, he also very decidedly
steered young graduate students into our profession.  He received his MA
in 1968 at the University of Hawai'i, and his Ph.D. in 1975 at Florida
State University.  He taught at the University of Memphis since 1974
until he retired in 1999.  His last years were burdened by a remarkable
struggle against cancer.

Bertha Ching has given me permission to pass on her address for those
who wish to get in touch; it is 1025 Monticello Dr., Memphis TN
38107-3004.  The funeral will be this Sunday, September 19, at 2 p.m. at
Trinity United Methodist Church on 1738 Galloway Avenue in Memphis.
Please do not send flowers.  Marvin would have much preferred to see
donations instead to the church he loved.  See the SECOL web site for
the address and for links to reminiscences about Marvin by Cindy
Bernstein, Charles Hall, Michael Haley, and Ron Lunsford, at
http://www.coas.uncc.edu/linguistics/secol/secol.htm .  There is also a
link to a bibliography of Marvin's publications.  If you missed the
special issue of the Southern Journal of Linguistics in honor of Marvin
Ching, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me by replying to
this e-mail.

With kind regards,

  Ralf Thiede

  Exec. Secretary, SECOL

----- End forwarded message -----

Virtually,
Terry
Terry Lynn Irons
Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University
150 University Blvd Box 604 Morehead KY 40351