"Let's Play Two" (1972)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 17 00:57:49 UTC 2004

The Chicago Tribune's digitization is now at August 1951. Still no "deep dish" pizza, "Italian beef" sandwiches, or "sport peppers."

Chicago is a city that's been so great to me and my work over these last 100 years, so I thought I'd look for the Ernie Banks quote "let's play two." This is the worst sports quotation of the year?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
   Sun  Thursday, October 12, 1972 Lowell, Massachusetts
...It's a great day for baseball. LET'S PLAY TWO." Best-Looking Ushers the Hot.....games are featured on television with PLAY-backs of the interesting incidents..
Pg. 41(?), col. 4:
By SCOTT STEWART
Copley News Service
(...)(Col. 6--ed.)
Worst Quote of Year--Chicago's Ernie Banks: "It's a great day for baseball. Let's play two."