NY's "Orient Express" also not in revised OED

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 19 03:02:51 UTC 2004

ORIENT EXPRESS + 7 TRAIN--97 Google hits, 10 Google Groups hits
ORIENT EXPRESS + 7 LINE--192 Google hits, 3 Google Groups hits

(OED)
    6. Orient Express, a luxurious train, popularly associated with espionage and intrigue, which ran (from 1883 to 1977) between Paris and Istanbul and other Balkan cities; a successor to this train, following (part of) its original route.

   1883 Times 2 Nov. 10/1 A small folded card,..the back giving the timetable of the journey up to Constantinople,..and the front, under the heading ‘*Orient Express’, the direction ‘M.is requested to take his seat, in carriage, bed No.’. 1904 A. E. HOUSMAN Let. 23 Sept. (1971) 75, I can pay the sum they ask, but I very much object to, as Constantinople and the Orient Express are both pretty expensive. 1925 C. CONNOLLY Let. May in Romantic Friendship (1975) 81, I was thinking of..vanishing on the orient express. 1965 Observer 16 May 9/1 Amateurish-sounding Orient Express techniques..are widely used... Master agent Lonsdale passed messages via drawing pins stuck..in a Lyons Corner House. 1977 Daily Tel. 2 May 6 (advt.) Thursday, 19th May, 1977, will mark the death of a legend... On that day..The Orient Express..will begin its final run... On 22nd May the great train comes to rest in Istanbul's Sirkeci Station. 1989 Holiday Which? Jan. 42/1 You can still take the Orient Express route from London as far as Istanbul, if you're rich enough. 2003 Daily Mail (Nexis) 1 Nov. 56 From mid-March, skiers can go from London to Austria on the Orient Express.

I've added "Orient Express" (the #7 line to Queens, used by many Asian-Americans) to my Big Apple site (www.barrypopik.com).

The latest revised OED has a long entry for "Orient Express," but NOTHING on New York? In 1999, this "Orient Express" was even made a part of New York's "Millennium Trail."

FYI:
I've added about ten new items to my site just today. The non-Big Apple stuff is greater than all the Big Apple stuff by about 2-to-1. Recent additions include:

Orient Express, Little Brazil, Little India, Little Poland, Little Odessa, Little Ukraine, Hymietown, Jew York, Murder Inc., Santa Claus, Dead Line, Dead Man's Curve, WillyB/Billyburg/Billburg, Shao-lin, Crooklyn, Boogie Down Bronx, Borough of Homes, City of Churches, Labor Day, Perp Walk, Desk Appearance Ticket, Black-and-White, Power Breakfast and Power Lunch.