"Ancestors" / "Descendants"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 19 21:05:37 UTC 2004

"Exodus 12:12-14...So make today a permanent public holiday. For thousands of years to come your ancestors will take time off on National Flyby Festivals to retell the stories of what's about to go down."

                  Rob Lacey, "The Word on the Street" ["The  Holy Bible," partial translation:   "I fast-forward through the bits we usually ignore anyway"],  (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2004), p. 54.

Years ago I alerted a skeptical Jesse to the existence of this usage of "ancestors," which he was unfamiliar with. The first time I encountered it was in the speech of a New Orleans "Voodoo priestess" on "CBS Sunday Morning."  Jesse and I have come up with maybe a dozen more since then.

But I believe this the first to appear in a biblical translation. Rob Lacey, by the way, is British.

(Jesse serves as Keeper of the Ancestors and perhaps will post some more exx.  I turned all of mine over to him.)