Hinky Dinky

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 21 19:52:46 UTC 2004

Thank you, Mark.  On (very) limited evidence, this may be the most widely known stanza in circulation today, after "Mlle. from Arm`entieres/ She hasn't been (fucked/kissed/etc.) in forty (fifty, etc.) years."  Oddly, it was first "collected" in the '40s or '50s, decades after WWI.

If you know any more stanzas, do let me know.  (I've exhausted printed sources and the Internet: there's much remarkable stuff.)

JL

"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
Subject: Re: Hinky Dinky

"Jonathan Lighter" asks

>PS: Am still looking for folk-transmitted versions of "Hinky Dinky."

I'm sure you already have this one:

The first Marine found the beans, parlay-voo,
The second Marine cooked the beans, parlay-voo,
The third Marine ate the beans
And shitted all over the submarines,
Hinky Dinky parlay-voo.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, mostly. I have an
officemate.]