taboo words in the NYT

Wed Sep 22 17:30:59 UTC 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 9:40 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote, about the title
"Another Bullshit Night in Suck City", which reviewer Vendela Vida said
has an "unexpected" source:

> Flynn says it's a phrase his pop used.

hmmph.  to my mind, that's scarcely unexpected; it's what i would have
guessed, in fact.  i wonder why vida was so coy about it.

"another bullshit night" comes up in several blogs, with reference to
disappointing evenings.  google also nets a few occurrences of "Suck
City" (with reference to Flint MI and Atlanta GA, at least) that are
*not* references to a band of that name.  both expressions in one
package is (so far in my searches) restricted to nick flynn's book.

arnold