Speaking of "gay," etc.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 22 20:46:27 UTC 2004

and at 12:13 PM -0700 9/22/04, Benjamin J Barrett wrote:
>Dookie as in poop? I remember that meaning in the suburbs of Seattle in
>the 70s, or maybe it was Anchorage...

to which Wilson averred that that was indeed the meaning he had in mind.

I think we may have had a thread on our personal recollections of
childhood euphemisms for body-parts and processes a while back.  In
our family (NYC, far from East Texas), "dookies" were penises.  I
still cringe when I hear it applied (as it often is in basketball
contexts by, if you'll pardon the expression, Dick Vitale) to
characterize our (ADS-based) homies from Duke University.   'Poop',
on the other hand, was referenced as "duty" (homophonous with Howdy
Doody's last name, as was risible at the time).

Larry