Speaking of "gay," etc.

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Sep 23 02:31:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 02:07:23PM -0700, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> "Dookie chain," meaning a meretriciously thick gold chain
> worn by rappers and drug dealers, was, I think, the usage
> that dumped "dookie" into general pop culture.  IIRC, it was
> in the very early '90s.  (Am too lazy/busy to check HDAS.)

It is not in HDAS. Clearly one of us was not paying enough
attention at the time.

I think the main term for the described item is "rope"; I
don't think _dookie chain_ is is what popularized _dookie_
itself. The Green Day album seems more likely a candidate.

FWIW Google shows 31 hits (20 distinct, apparently) of
"dookie chain"--none for "dookey chain"--most of which
appear to be real.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED