BBC Request for Interviews: Ohio, Mo., Ill., Ky.

Thu Sep 23 19:36:25 UTC 2004

This message came in response to a phone call from a producer for the
BBC. She is looking for American language and dialect experts near
their shooting sites. I've forwarded a few names, but I encourage you
to contact her directly if you can make yourself available for this.

Start forwarded message:

Just to give you a little more detail, the series is going to be
presented by the British actress Miriam Margolyes. Miriam has already
embarked on her filmed journey around the USA, and she is following the
route taken by Charles Dickens as recorded in his 1842 travel journal,
"American Notes". Along the way, Miriam will be drawing upon the
adventures Dickens wrote about in "American Notes", visiting many of
the towns, cities, institutes and organisations that Dickens journeyed
to. She'll also be exploring the people, culture, art and landscapes of
21st Century America and drawing parallels with Dickens's experiences
of the country that so fascinated him.

In "American Notes", Dickens wrote about the language used by the
Americans he met. In fact, some of the most colourful and funny
passages in the book relate to his confusion over American words,
phrases and pronunciations! For this reason, it would be great if
Miriam could explore the differences in language between Americans and
Brits in some way.

We'll be filming this November in Cincinnati, St. Louis (MO), Cairo
(IL), Louisville (KY), Lebanon (OH) and Pittsburgh. As we are filming
to a very tight schedule, we are, unfortunately, unable to travel too
far from these places. I very much hope that we'll be able to explore
American language in one of these places and I was very encouraged by
our conversation just now!

If you have any thoughts, suggestions or advice for me, I'd be very
grateful if you could let me know, either here at
suzie.samant at liontv.co.uk, or by telephone on +44 141 331 0450.

Thanks again for your help with this - it is much appreciated.

Best wishes from Glasgow,

Suzie

Suzie Samant
Associate Producer