"last stitch effort"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 24 00:18:23 UTC 2004

At 6:13 PM -0400 9/23/04, Wilson Gray wrote:

>I probably say "inclimate" myself. I'm going to have to monitor myself,
>as I had to do to unlearn "irrevalent." BTW, have you noticed that C-J
>Bailey makes a point of saying "e-pock"? I don't have his guts. The
>first time that I said "e-pock" in front of a Northern audience was my
>last time. The room fell silent. Finally, someone asked, "Do you mean
>'eppuck'?"

I wouldn't have thought that would earn such a reaction.  I don't
think "e-pock" for _epoch_ is that uncommon.  It may have originated
as a spelling pronunciation, but I see it's listed in AHD4 as a
secondary pronunciation option without any opprobrium attached.
Maybe like pronouncing _often_ with a "t", which I don't do but
frequently hear.  Of course if you or C-J were talking about "e-pock
proportions" or "e-pock poems", that would be something else...

larry