dookie

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Sep 24 12:52:46 UTC 2004

On Sep 24, 2004, at 12:02 AM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: dookie
> --------

Interesting. When I first heard this in the very early '50's, it meant
only "take a seat." When the character, "Munch," said it to a suspect
on the '90's TV cop show, "Homicide: Life on the Streets," said it to a
suspect, it still meant "take a seat." Clearly, time changes things, to
coin a phrase.

> pinch a loaf
> drop a steamer
> drop a massive
> take a dump

As for this one, I believe that my family and my wife's family share
the copyright.;-)

-Wilson Gray