SUX

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 27 00:25:24 UTC 2004

I think "sucks" must have had a sexual origin, and here is why.

    "Suck" was at some point an innovational term.  As a novelty, it "assumably" had to carry some powrful meaning or connotation that its primary competition ("stink") could not deliver. While not a "taboo" term, "stink" had powerful sensory associations.  When somebody said, of a movie for example, "It stunk!" that seemed to be at least as condemnatory as "It was lousy!" (Like bad, bad smells, lice were an imaginable loathsome reality.)  One reacted "at some level" to the idea that the objectionable thing was like a ghastly odor - so bad that one had to escape or vomit, for example.  (With "lousy," it seemed to crawl with communicable lice - and one had better get away from it.)

Every American, of course, was familiar with "sucker"; one was born every minute and none ws to be given an even break.  A "sucker" was a fool, a dupe, a victim; in other words, a person one could feel superior to.  I doubt that many speakers were able to dream up a likely semantic origin for "sucker."  It certainly could not be related to the almost unspeakably offensive "c-cks-cker," an epithet many Americans, it would seem, had never heard.  If they had, they knew that it was such a semantic H-bomb that the innocent "sucker," dupe, couldn't possibly be connected. If it were, "sucker" too would be a "taboo" term.   (I think we should start calling such items "quasi-" or "semi-taboo," but that's another thread.)

Other conceivable contributors to a negative aura around the verb "suck" might have included "suck hind tit," but "You suck!" carried a lot more punch than some reference to being last in line, or last in favor. "Suck hind tit," moreover, was hardly a central idiom in everyday English in the 1950s. No such utterance as "*You bastard! You suck hind tit!" has been adduced, and one doubts that it ever will be.

No one wanted to be "sucker-punched," but I cannot see any grounds here for the development, "You/he/she/it sucks."

In recent decades, "suck" has come to be uttered rather blandly; but my recollection is that when it was used forty years ago it was generally stressed almost explosively.  If something "stunk," well, that level of crap was routine. If it "sucked," that was godawful. In my school, as I think I mentioned previously, it was the toughest-talking kids who seemed to use it.

The missing link in all of this, and to me the likely point of semantic change, occurred in men's room graffiti of the '50s and presumably earlier.  It was not uncommon to see  messages of the form "So-and-so sucks!" scrawled in public restrooms.  Whether "So-and-So" was male or female, few youngsters over the age of eleven (or less) could fail to understand what was meant, and that the officially nice world of TV, birthday parties, backyard barbecues, and first dates regarded that practice as one of the most disgustingly depraved things a person of either sex could be involved with.

That said - and perhaps some of the under-thirties out there may find it hard to believe -
the verb "suck" packed a hell of a punch when it was suddenly associated with the meaning "highly offensive; disgusting, etc."  "You suck!" could well have precipitated as many prison knife fights as any comparable use of ethnic epithets or anything else, including the deadly duo "m.f. / c.s." themselves.

Even in the early to mid-90s when "suck"'s explosive force had been greatly weakened, some conservative parental groups objected to its occurrence on TV as just too vulgar for their homes. Members of these groups, I feel certain, were not thinking that it referred to "suckers," "sucker punches," "sucking hind tit," or anything so bland as that.

Without stronger evidence to the contrary, I retain my primal assumption, that "suck" originally carried strong associations of what was widely regarded as perversion, and that it most likely arose as a deliberately provocative imputation of active homosexuality.

JL