"sort of" is elitist?

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Mon Sep 27 01:45:39 UTC 2004

They're on crack : )  At least, according the to style guide my class
(composition) is using-- it lists "sort of" as "colloquial" and suggests
that it be avoided in writing.  A quick googling suggests the same
thing-- one handbooks suggests that "sort of" be used only in "its
grammatical context"-- giving as an example "a sort of spaghetti."

If anything, "sort of" seems to be considered the exact opposite of
"elitist."

Of course, admittedly, they're talking about writing and not speaking.

Maybe Kerry should've said "sorta."  : )

Patti Kurtz
Minot State University

--

Freeman - And what drives you on, fighting the monster?

Straker - I don't know, something inside me I guess.

Freeman - It's called dedication.

Straker - Pig-headedness would be nearer.