Chapter Book (1991)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 27 13:13:09 UTC 2004

My daughter taught herself to read at the age of 4 1/2 and for her fifth
birthday all she wanted was a "chapter book".  (We gave her _Charlotte's Web_).
This was in 1991.

Her nursery school teacher told us that "chapter book" was a standard term
among nursery-school and similar educators.  I don't recall whether the teacher
gave us a definition and if so what it was, but from context it was pretty
clear that my daughter meant "a book long enough to have chapters" and did not
care whether said book had illustrations or not.

             - Jim Landau