wails vs. whales

Mon Sep 27 19:15:26 UTC 2004

Seems to me "charging, kicks ass, whales a while" go
together very well ...making noise, kicking up a
rucus, causing trouble or a disturbance.  The odd
thing about this is, I say /hwal/ for the mammel, but
/wal/ for the verb meaning "To strike or hit
repeatedly and forcefully; thrash...attack
vehemently":  before this thread, I'd never looked up
this use of "whale" in a dictionary and was using the
word, or thought I was using the word, "wail" in
phrases such as "He really whaled (wailed) on me."

=====