SUX

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Sep 28 06:08:12 UTC 2004

On Sep 28, 2004, at 12:49 AM, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
> Subject:      Re: SUX
> --------
>
>> I started this thread to dredge up evidence concerning the early
>> career of
>> a now salient Americanism.  Are Wilson, Ron, and I really the only
>> ones
>> aged enough to have something to contribute?
>
> I'm a young dude, so I can remember this sort of thing only back to ca.
> 1960 (maybe a little hazy, too).
>
> I'm inclined to agree with JL, in general. As for "proof", well, this
> word-history stuff isn't like chemistry and absolute proof is hard to
> come by.
>
> One question which may be germane is how the history of "sucks"
> relates to
> the histories of superficially comparable expressions "blows" and "eats
> [it] [raw]".
>
> Certainly "He eats it [raw]"

"Nine out of ten doctors say, 'Eat Meraw!'" punning on commercials for
patent medicines of the day, was a popular catch-phrase at my all-male
prep school, ca.1950-1954. And what about "bite (a big one)"? As in the
movie title, "Reality bites." Back in the day - early '50's - if a
person was the subject, you had to say, "John bites a big one," in
which "one" was understood to reference "penis." Otherwise, you could
say merely, "That/losing the game/being broke/whatever, bites." And
there was the saying, "If you take that [insult] without a fight, then
you'll take this [the speaker's penis, as indicated by the "hustling
nuts" gesture] without a bite."

-Wilson Gray