/wh/ - /w/

Lesa Dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Tue Sep 28 20:35:51 UTC 2004

I've always done something strange with some [hw]/[w] distinctions.  I
have two words--one with [hw] for why and one with [w].  The first is
a question, the second an exclamation as in "Why, lordy, what do ya'll
mean?"  I remember once talking about this in class to a group of wide-
eyed linguistic students who always seemed to be wide-eyed about
language use.  Now I can explain that particular reaction on that
particular occasion.

Lesa
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:31:08 -0400
 "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU> wrote:
> >The poshness of /hw/-/w/ is odd to me too (since I had it nateral as
> >a kid), but I came to learn later that many thought of it as a swell
> >form (and have been teased mercilessly by my Milwaukee wife, who
> >also mocks my /a/nvelope, /ku/pon, and pa/ja/mas).
>
> dInIs
>

> >Interesting. I would never consider the /hw/-/w/ distinction
> >elitist. Exactly the opposite, in fact.  I associate it with very
> >old or rural people.  For the most part, it's pretty much dead here
> >in Oregon, exept from the two groups I mentioned above.  Almost none
> >of my students makes it and most of them don't even have any idea
> >what I am talking about when we discuss it.
> >Fritz
> >I seem to regularly make the /hw/-/w/ distinction without
> >even realizing it until my mortified middle-school-aged
> >daughter cringes and criticizes me for speaking like an
> >elitist...
> >
> >sally donlon
> >(on the Third Coast in way South Louisiana)
> >

> >Dennis R. Preston wrote:
> >
> >>  My nephews and nieces have also lost the good old
Louisville /hw/ -
> >>  /w/ distinction, which was never mentioned in school in my day.
Its
> >>  disappearance must have been being noticed (oh lovely verbal
string!)
> >>  by the guardians of the local tongue.
> >>
> >>  Bowman Field! What a blast from the past!
> >>
> >>  dInIs

Louisville, near