/wh/ - /w/

Lesa Dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Tue Sep 28 21:28:27 UTC 2004

For years I thought of  my hw/w distinctiion as standard.  Maybe the
two of us together can start a movement to force the distinction into
standardness.  I sometimes wonder if a few people got together and did
that with a lot of prescriptive rules.  Never members of this group,
of course.
Seriously, though, would the wine/whine joke work if there were not
two pronunciations?  I will admit that aspiration is minor these days
with [hw], but aren't there more jokes that are based on similarity in
the sound of words rather than "complete" identity or true homophony.
Something like that series of tasteless (and wonderful) jokes about
the planet Uranus wouldn't work, would they, if there was one
recognized pronunciation?  I know this is a different issue in a lot
of ways, but the point is that to have  humor of the wine/whine sort
both pronunciations have to be on the radar--so to speak. I contrast
that humor with puns. Puns behave differently and aim for a different
response, I think, maybe because of the identical nature of the two
words.
Lesa
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:59:09 -0400
 Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2004, at 4:35 PM, Lesa Dill wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Lesa Dill <lesa.dill at WKU.EDU>
> > Subject:      Re: /wh/ - /w/
----
> > --------
> >
> > I've always done something strange with some [hw]/[w]
distinctions.  I
> > have two words--one with [hw] for why and one with [w].  The first
is
> > a question, the second an exclamation as in "Why, lordy, what do
ya'll
> > mean?"  I remember once talking about this in class to a group of
wide-
> > eyed linguistic students who always seemed to be wide-eyed about
> > language use.  Now I can explain that particular reaction on that
> > particular occasion.
> >
> > Lesa
>
> I, too, make precisely this distinction. However, I don't think of it
> as "strange." Rather, I think of it as the proper way to speak
English.