disappearing prepositions

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Sep 29 02:21:28 UTC 2004

        Yes, and we all know that ambiguity in language never caused any problems during that time period.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 10:07 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: disappearing prepositions

Remember we got along for a couple of hundred thousamd years without Ti-Vo, either.

JL

Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"

Oh, "absent" does mean the same as "in the absence of." It just takes three less words to say it.

It isn't the same as "without," of course. That would be like comparing tangerines and mandarin oranges.

John Baker