SUX

Wed Sep 29 17:40:19 UTC 2004

Doug Wilson sez

I'm a young dude, so I can remember this sort of thing only back to ca.
1960 (maybe a little hazy, too).
<<<

ditto

One question which may be germane is how the history of "sucks" relates to
the histories of superficially comparable expressions "blows" and "eats
[it] [raw]".

Certainly "He eats it [raw]" (= "He is despicable" or so) was conventional
as early as I can remember (1960 or maybe a little earlier).
<<<

i remember the form "eat it raw", and a variant "eat it... RAW!!!", w/ 'raw'
like "ROAR!"/[roaring].

mark by hand (officemate is working... can't dictate this text aloud!)