aunt/ant

J. Eulenberg eulenbrg at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Sep 29 19:25:25 UTC 2004

"Ant," definitely.  Raised in Dallas, TX.  Still, no one in my family
(Texas or Washington State via Iowa) used anything else.  I was surprised
the first time I heard Auwnt.  Particularly surprised because it sounded
more high-falutin', yet it came from my African-American girlfriend.
Close to, but not exactly like the British, which sounds to my ears like
"Ahnt."  I've never tried to emulate it, because my family would hoot at
me.

Julia Niebuhr Eulenberg <eulenbrg at u.washington.edu>